Social media is a big monster today. It’s a very large ocean with uncountable content, news and information. There is no doubt that it’s very hard to stand out from the crowd when you just act “normally”. Boosting your brand awareness and your engagements requires time to think, great planning and of course the knowledge of the social media facts in 2019.
For sure it takes a little time to see the desired results but the knowledge of the social media facts and having the appropriate tools create your armour that you need to get in attack just in time.
Social media has a lot of impact on our daily lives. The way that we interact with our loved ones, and even with our customers. When we are asked about the things that are growing exponentially around us, there is no denying that most of us will point social media. It is absolutely everywhere. It’s a huge ocean that you need to pass. With the facts that we are going to explain in this article, you will hopefully learn how to sail and reach the closest coast to build your brand’s legacy on social media.
Another important question that you need to answer is if it is worth investing in social media for your business. Should you focus on a social media marketing strategy in 2019? The answer could be found after a careful analysis of the behavior and the preferred channels of your customers. But in our opinion, social media should not be ignored in any way.
There are many popular social media platforms, which have their own potential, their own audiences and their own dynamics. If you manage to analyze all of these separately and in the light of the social media facts, you will absolutely be successful.
Undoubtedly, it can be very hard for small businesses to keep track of the social media statistics while they have many other tasks related with the growth of the business. Nonetheless, there are good social media resources like Socialbakers, which also list the stats around each and every social media platform.
In addition to social media stats and metrics, there are of course some important metrics for eCommerce which are also important for your brand. You can read our related post on these metrics from here.
Today we are going to look at the top social media facts for 2019, and how they can help shape your year ahead. We have created this guide because we believe that it will be a great idea to share a list including the most important social media facts to make things easier for your business. Among the large number of these facts, there are some that stand out. With these facts under just one click, you will always have the chance to enhance your social media operations.
How Many People Use Social Media?
If one day, just out of your own curiosity, you decide to measure the social media addiction in this fast changing digital world, just walk down a street and observe the people you are crossing by. Probably some of them will be checking their Facebook feed, posting a picture or a story on Instagram, tweeting about their last experience of something on Twitter or pinning their desired locations on Pinterest.
Yes, this is what you are going to see. We all are a part of this. We are checking our phones before going to sleep, and even in the morning before jumping out of our beds.
There are mind-blowing facts about social media which will make you better understand the huge dynamic behind this social phenomena.
Worldwide population is 7.7billion and the internet has 4.4billion users. WOW! And this number is growing day by day. Out of these users there are nearly 3.5billion active social media users, and every 6.4 seconds a new account has been created. Every user has an average 7.6 social media accounts. They spend around 142 minutes on social media every single day.
Every user has an average 7.6 social media accounts. They spend around 142 minutes on social media every single day. – Tweet This!
Wide range of time in which you can target them, right?
We believe that these numbers enable us to tell that social media has a measurable result in sales, lead generation and creating a great brand awareness. Your ROI could be great with a chance to reach a very large audience.
Let’s move on and have a look at the most interesting facts about social media in 2019!
Facebook, is the world’s third most viewed website after Google and Youtube. Is that not enough to understand the power of it? No worries, below there are some social media facts about Facebook that will change your mind.
- There are 2.7billion active users montly worldwide.
- It is the leading social media platform, reaching approximately 60,6% of internet users.
- Great place for video marketing. Over 100 million hours of content is viewed every day.
- Facebook has around 500.000 new users every single day, which is translated into 6 new profiles every second!
- Facebook accounts for 21% of all social media referral traffic!
- 74% percent of Facebook users check their accounts every day!
- 300 million of pictures are uploaded every day.
- Users spend approximately 59minutes daily.
- Facebook drives 23% of all traffic across the entire internet.
- Every month almost 1.5million users participate in Facebook Groups.
- 96% of monthly users access Facebook through mobile.
- Mobile optimized Facebook videos increase brand awareness by 67%
- 80billion small businesses use Facebook Pages.
- 65% of all Facebook users are under the age of 35.
- 77% of retail companies has acquired a large number of customers from Facebook.
- Like & Share buttons are viewed in almost 10 million websites every day.
- 500 million of Facebook stories are posted every day.
We can easily say that your audience is absolutely using Facebook and your competitors, too. It’s important for you to plan your Facebook strategies in the light of the social media facts mentioned above.
If you are wondering about the best times to post on Facebook, check our great guide now!
Instagram is every start-up’s dream. It has grown exclusively over the past years and it continues to grow every single moment. From a photo sharing app of vacationers, now it’s a huge platform which appeals to every single influencer, advertiser and to all of the brands.
Even during our daily lives, we have started thinking if the particular moments that we experience are worth sharing on Instagram.
Let’s jump to some great social media facts about Instagram:
- Instagram has more than 1billion monthly active users. More than 500million of these use the platform daily.
- Nearly 1.7billion accounts use Instagram Stories every day. As for the users, 500million of them use Instagram Stories every day.
- 95million photos are uploaded to Instagram daily.
- More than 40billion photos have been shared so far.
- The average user spends 53minutes on the app on a daily base.
- 71% of Instagram users are millennials.
- Instagram is the second most popular social media platform after Facebook.
- 71% of US businesses use Instagram.
- 15% – 25% of the users swipe up when there is a link at the Instagram Story.
- 59% of businesses link Instagram Stories to shopping pages.
- There is a chance to create shoppable posts.
- 83% of users claim that they discover new products with the help of Instagram.
- Nearly 80% of the users make their purchase decision with the help of Instagram.
- 50% of users follow at least one brand. So, be sure that this is yours. 🙂
- The interaction rate of Instagram is 2.2% – which is higher than any other platform.
Yeah! As you can see Instagram is a great and powerful marketing tool for any businesses that want to reach and interact with a very large and active audience. We wish these social media facts about Instagram will help you to plan your next social media marketing strategy more carefully.
If the Internet was a planet with very strange countries, YouTube would probably be one the most populated and popular ones. Of course, Facebook and Instagram are popular for video content but YouTube is absolutely very far ahead. We have to mention that it is the second most visited website just after Google.
So, let’s analyze the social media facts about YouTube:
- Nearly 2 billion users visit YouTube every single day.
- It is available in over 90 countries supporting 80 languages which covers approximately 95% of the Internet population.
- 60% of people prefer to watch online video platforms like YouTube.
- Almost 95% of the teens in the US loves YouTube. This could be a great audience for many brands.
- 70% of the views are from mobile devices.
- More than 500 hours of video content is uploaded to YouTube every single minute.
- People have watched over 50.000 years of product videos.
- Approximately 1billion hours of video content is viewed every single day.
- Nearly 60% of YouTube users are male.
It is very clear that YouTube has the power when it comes to video content. So, video may be crucial during your next social media marketing plan.
Twitter is absolutely a large social media platform to make an impression on potential customers.
Let’s move on with our list of social media facts for Twitter. These – we believe – will help you easily make your strategic decisions.
- Twitter has around 335 million active users.
- 80% of these users are outside of the United States.
- 73% of Twitter users also use Instagram.
- There are 1.3billion Twitter accounts.
- 500 million Internet users visit Twitter without logging in.
- 500 million of tweets are sent every day which is translated into 5,787 tweets every second.
- 85% of small and medium sized businesses offer customer service over Twitter.
- Almost 80% of the users feel more positive and trustful about a business when their tweet is replied.
- Tweets with images can receive approximately 160% more retweets than those without.
- 46% of Twitter users, use the app every day.
- People are 31% more likely to remember something they have seen on Twitter.
Twitter has a large potential for brands to reach their target audience as its user base is growing day by day. Make sure to have these social media facts about Twitter in mind before planning any marketing strategy.
The users of Pinterest are very comfortable to say that their time during the use of the platform is well-spent. Pinterest is a platform where users reconnect with themselves and their ideal future self. And the platform offers everything you need to buy to become that ideal self.
Let’s jump into the social media facts about Pinterest, to figure out if it is a right platform for you:
- Pinterest has 291 million monthly active users.
- The average time spent on the platform is 14.2 minutes per day.
- 80% of Pinterest users are on mobile.
- The platform has 146million fashion boards. Yeah!
- Almost 50% percent of the new sign ups in 2018 were men.
- At least 50% of the users admitted that they purchased items from the promoted pins.
- 83% of women on Pinterest use the platform for their plans.
- One in two millennials use Pinterest every month.
- 70% of Pinterest users use it to find the perfect product.
- 25% of the referral traffic that goes to retail websites come from Pinterest.
- Nearly 80% of users utilize Pinterest to support a brand.
- Businesses claim that they get 2$ on every 1$ spent.
We can easily say that users of Pinterest could be converted to shoppers very easily as a large percentage of users are searching for the perfect products to reach their ideal future self.
Positive Facts About Social Media
Social networking is a great part of our daily lives which could not be ignored. There is no doubt that social media makes lots of things easier for us as individuals, and also your brand.
- Social media is a great way to enhance your connectivity.
It is effortless to connect with your desired customers. You are just a click away to reach an incredible number of potential customers.
- Social media advertising is more affordable than the traditional advertising methods.
- You can reach all the age groups and demographics via social media.
- Social media users are active and this promotes two-way communication.
- You have the chance to share many things about your business among various platforms.
Negative Social Media Facts
Everything has its positive and negative sides – social media is no exception. You can also call them social media danger facts when it comes to your business. Sometimes these perrils are so effective that they can harm your business.
Let’s check these out to know in which situations you need to be more careful:
- Your employees reflect the image of your company
You have to make it clear for your employees that they can’t discuss company matters on social media. It’s very hard to monitor their social media activities so a little mistake can harm your business seriously.
- Not controlling your content
Users of social media can massively interact with one of your recent posts. This is great for the engagement of your brand but can also harm your company if there is a negative engagement, like a negative comment. If you want to avoid this, you have to constantly check your posts.
- Social media reduced face-to-face communication
In the business environment, communication plays a critical role. It is very easy for professionals to communicate with each other and with their customers via online channels. But this harms physical communication. This could lead to a declined employee motivation among your team and this could affect your brand’s outcomes. To deal with this, many companies organize meet-ups for their employees and their customers.
Organizing meet-ups between employees and customers, could be a great idea to increase their loyalty. – Tweet This!
- Negative customer reviews posted on social media
Social media is an easy way for your customers to post their complaints about your products. This could harm your brand very badly. To overcome this problem, you need to follow this up very closely, and respond quickly to any complaint with a solution.
We have summarized the social media facts in 2019 so that we can help you to understand social media better. These findings will hopefully help you to decide for the best channel when you are planning your next strategy.
Is any of your favourite social media facts missed here? No worries!
Just tell us about it, and we will constantly include it in this guide. 🙂