What Is Marketing Automation?
The term marketing automation was first introduced by John D.C. Little in his presentation at the 5th Invitational Choice Symposium UC Berkeley 2001. The term refers to the automated marketing decision support on the worldwide web. Little formulated its key essence in the phrase “What do we tell retailer X to do when customer Y arrives on Monday morning?”.
If you are an online retailer, you would probably want to make more sales, right? Tracking your online shoppers’ behaviours on your website, recording those behaviours and taking actions when some prefined behaviours are presented might help you grow your sales.
Let’s begin with an example behaviour. Your shopper bought cinema tickets for a romantic comedy, which features a very famous actor duo. When this customer behaviour is being recorded on your database, the entry will most likely include those fields:
- Customer ID
- Product ID
- Customer’s contact information i.e. name, surname, email address, subscription preferences
- Attributes of the product i.e name of the actor the movie is featuring, price of the ticket, genre of the movie (romantic comedy)
- Date of the purchase
- Quantity of the products purchased i.e. two tickets
Based on this record, an email newsletter may be triggered as soon as a new movie is released featuring the male actor in a new film.
In today’s digital marketing world, marketing automation is an invaluable tool as it acts as an aid for marketers who aim to streamline their lead generation, segmentation, lead fostering, customer lifecycle marketing, cross-selling and up-selling, retaining customers and marketing ROI measurement.
Few of these practices can be carried out at small volumes without using any automation software, but technology becomes vital beyond a level, and with the increase in the number of channels. Enabled by advances in AI and cloud-based scalable infrastructure, the power of smart technologies transforms the ways marketers communicate with the end-users. What we can say for sure is that; AI is changing the face of marketing strategies and customers’ behaviors.
AI is going to make our lives better in the future.
—Mark Zuckerberg, CEO, Facebook
To be specific, all these technological processes require:
- A Marketing Database –This is a place for all your marketing data that includes complete customer information and behavior that helps you to slice and send the correct message to every customer.
- An Engagement Marketing Engine –This refers to an environment for the creation, handling and automation of marketing processes and interactions.
- An Analytics Engine – This acts as a means to examine, assess and optimize the marketing ROI and its effect on there turns.
Key e-commerce retailers like Amazon, Zappos and Wayfair – all these brands make use of the best marketing automation to restructure their everyday marketing errands. Without these marketing automation tools, your customers have a less tailored and less pleasant shopping experience. Your eCommerce store will only be able to send entirely basic emails, and you would have no idea about customer’s preferences.
eCommerce marketing automation increases productivity of a business in the following ways:
With marketing automation, you can easily keep track of your clients who visit your e-store. Through this, you can know the type of leads that are fascinated by your product or services.
Your next step is to aim to care about your leads across various channels, even if they are not yet looking for a product or service. Automation of marketing tasks helps you achieve that by keeping your prospective clients engaged.
Marketing automation helps you to send personalized stuff or messages to your customers through email, thereby making your email marketing campaigns more capable and effective.
For any online business, saving time to focus on operational things becomes crucial. Marketing automation helps you take your effort towards other things that need your attention.
In a nutshell, businesses – both small and large – are now making use of marketing automation tools because of their limitless advantages particularly; the return of investment. We – at Perzonalization – are trying to help eCommerce websites with our automated and personalized emails and expedite their marketing efforts.
Curious to learn more? Take a look at related posts!
- Marketing Mistakes to Avoid in 2020
- How To Sell More In 2020 With A Killer Marketing Plan For eCommerce
- 10 Marketing Tactics For eCommerce You Should Adopt In 2020
- Be a Tony Stark in Digital Marketing: Super Helpful Tips to Reach Your Marketing Goals